Meet Dr. Chaffoo
Dr. Richard Chaffoo is a highly regarded hair transplant surgeon in San Diego County and is the founder and surgical director of the Hair Surgery Center at La Jolla Skin. He is a triple board-certified plastic surgeon with 30 years of surgical experience. Dr. Chaffoo's accomplishments include past President of the San Diego Plastic Surgery Society and current Chief of Plastic Surgery at Scripps Memorial Hospital, Encinitas.
The Hair Surgery Center at La Jolla Skin is the nation's first hair surgery facility directed by both a board-certified plastic surgeon and a dermatologist. Our patients receive the highest quality care available in our state-of-the-art center by a team of highly trained and professional staff who work closely with our doctors to provide natural-looking results. Each patient is unique, and we tailor our approach to meet their aesthetic needs in a discreet, friendly, and personable environment.
Choose your hair transplant surgeon carefully. To meet with Dr. Richard Chaffoo in San Diego County and find out if hair restoration surgery is right for you, request a consultation or call (858) 623-6333.
Why Is Board Certification Important?
Unfortunately, any doctor can perform cosmetic surgery, including hair replacement surgery, in his or her office with no formal surgical training. When you choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), you can feel confident that your surgeon is:
- Certified by the only surgical board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) that certifies surgeons in cosmetic surgery of the entire body, including the hair and scalp.
- Skilled and experienced in cosmetic surgery, an integral part of which involves the face, scalp, and hairline.
- Extensively trained to perform all aspects of hair surgery, both aesthetic and reconstructive.
- Uniquely qualified to perform complex surgical correction of difficult scalp and hair defects caused by burns, cancer, birth defects, trauma, and genetic conditions such as male pattern baldness.
In addition to certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Dr. Chaffoo is certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery). His triple board-certification demonstrates his level of expertise and dedication to his profession.
Among Dr. Chaffoo's numerous professional accomplishments, he was honored by Aesthetic Everything in 2016 as the #1 hair restoration surgeon in the U.S. Other highlights of Dr. Chaffoo's training and accomplishments include the following:
Dr. Chaffoo has completed a total of 9 years of post-graduate surgical training after medical school.
- Two surgical residencies: Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
- Three fellowships: Facial Aesthetic Surgery at Stanford University Medical Center, Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery at Stanford University Medical Center, Burn Surgery at UCSD Medical Center
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) – Member
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) – Member
- American Head & Neck Society – Fellow
- San Diego Plastic Surgery Society – Past President
- Scripps Memorial Hospital, Encinitas – Chief of Plastic Surgery
In addition, Dr. Chaffoo is listed as one of the top plastic surgeons in the U.S. by Castle Connolly. After nomination by peers, this honor is bestowed upon just 5% of all U.S. plastic surgeons.
For detailed information about Dr. Chaffoo's training and experience, view his CV.
To see the impressive results possible with hair transplant surgery, visit Dr. Chaffoo's online photo gallery. There are many more photos available to review during your consultation in our office.
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
Find Dr. Chaffoo on Google +.